How does an autumn impressed vegan pumpkin cake (often known as vegan pumpkin bread) topped with a luscious cloud of pecan frosting sound this weekend? Good? Good, as that’s what I’ve for you as we speak. It’s a easy one bowl cake studded with crunchy pecans and topped with a dreamy frosting with a pronounced roasted pecan flavour. It makes a imply afternoon deal with and it comes collectively in a cinch. Let’s go.
MORE ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
PUMPKIN PURÉE: If you happen to don’t reside within the US the place pumpkin purée is a baking and cooking staple, it’s simple to make one your self. Merely steam cubed pumpkin till a skewer goes in simply after which flip it right into a purée in a meals processor. You may also mix it in a blender, however for that you just’ll want so as to add some liquid – add 120 ml (½ cup) of plant milk allotted to this recipe (if reality that is what I did for this recipe).
SILKEN TOFU: this custard-like tofu is ideal for making desserts and right here I used it as a base for my easy pecan frosting.
COCONUT OIL: I used some perfume free cococonut oil within the batter to maintain this cake good and moist (you possibly can use different oil, like grapeseed) and a bit within the frosting to stiffen it.
SUGAR: Within the cake, you possibly can use any sugar you may have – I went for demerara sugar. Within the icing, I like to recommend utilizing icing sugar (often known as confectioners’ sugar) because it wants to have the ability to dissolve simply and to not add any moisture to the frosting. If you wish to maintain this cake refined sugar free, coconut sugar floor up finely or a couple of comfortable dates added to the icing could be my suggestion.
PECAN BUTTER: I made my very own pecan butter by processing toasted pecans in my meals processor till creamy and drippy, as pecans are fairly fatty, it took just a few minutes. Alternatively, you possibly can use walnut butter (but it surely does are usually bitter so you might want to extend the quantity of sugar to style) or cashew butter for a extra impartial flavour.
FLOUR: I used plain flour for the common model and a mix of gluten-free flour combine and a contact of xantham gum for the gluten-free model.
SPICES: I used a mix of some dry spices for this cake, you possibly can additionally use prepared made pumpkin spice combine when you have it.
In a big mixing bowl mix the entire moist elements. If making your personal pumpkin purée, be sure that it’s not heat.
Combine all the things effectively with a spatula till you get a homogenous combination. Place a sieve over the bowl and and sift in half of the flour, each baking brokers, dry spices and salt.
Utilizing a spatula, begin incorporating the dry elements into the moist ones by making small circles in the midst of the bowl first (to minimise lumps), step by step extending the circles to include increasingly more flour. Be gradual and mild! Sift within the second half of the flour and proceed in the identical method. Lastly fold in chopped pecans.
Switch the batter to a greased and paper lined baking tin and bake till a toothpick comes out clear – about 45-50 minutes.
Frost cooled off cake with pecan frosting, embellish with chopped pecans and Get pleasure from!
- 150 g / 5.3 oz (approx. ¾ cup) silken tofu
- 60 g / ¼ cup pecan butter*
- 35 g / ¼ cup icing sugar, regulate to style
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 40 g / 3 tbsp fragrance-free coconut oil or vegan butter, melted
- 300 g / 10.5 oz (approx. 1¼ cup) pumpkin purée*
- 120 ml / ½ cup plant milk (I used oat)
- 60 ml / ¼ cup delicate tasting oil (if utilizing coconut oil, melted)
- 175 g / ¾ cup + 2 tbsp demerara sugar or coconut sugar or
- 10 ml / 2 tsp lemon / lime juice
- 220 g / 1¾ cups all goal white flour or GF flour mix
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- SPICES: 1½ tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, ½ tsp allspice, ½ tsp cardamom, ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp advantageous salt
- ½ tsp xantham gum (beneficial provided that utilizing GF flour combine)
- 100 g / 7 oz pecans, divided
PECAN FROSTING (make forward)
- Place the entire elements in a meals processor and course of till clean and lump free.
- Switch to an air-tight container and refrigerate for a couple of hours (ideally in a single day) till the frosting is about.
- Heat up the oven to 180° C / 355° F and grease and line a 900 g / 2 lb cake tin with a chunk of parchment paper.
- In a big mixing bowl, mix the pumpkin purée with plant milk, sugar, oil and lemon juice in a big bowl. Combine very effectively.
- Place a sieve over the blending bowl and sift in half of the flour, each baking brokers, dry spices and salt. If utilizing GF flour mix that doesn’t comprise xantham gum, I like to recommend including it too.
- Utilizing a spatula, begin incorporating the dry elements into the moist ones by making small circles in the midst of the bowl first (to minimise lumps), step by step extending the circles to include increasingly more flour. Be gradual and mild.
- Subsequent, sift within the different half of the flour and proceed as within the earlier step.
- Combine till there is no such thing as a dry flour left, however don’t overmix (that’s solely necessary if you’re utilizing a flour containing gluten)!
- Fold two thirds of the pecans into the cake batter gently.
- Switch the batter into the ready baking tin. It needs to be pretty thick.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out pretty clear (this cake needs to be moist). Take away the cake from the oven and permit it to chill down fully earlier than eradicating from the tin and making use of the frosting.
- Apply set frosting to the cooled cake and sprinkle with the remaining pecans (you possibly can toast them first for additional flavour).
- Use a serrated knife to slice the cake – it produces neater trying slices. Hold in an air-tight container within the fridge for 3-4 days.
*PECAN BUTTER: I made my very own by churring toasted pecans in a meals processor till creamy and drippy. Alternatively you possibly can use walnut butter (or cashew butter for a extra of a impartial style).
BAKING TIN SIZE: 900 g / 2 lb tins fluctuate enormously between manufacturers so I like to recommend measuring the amount of the tin you plan to make use of first. For this recipe, I used a tin that holds 1250 ml / 5 cups of liquid (to the brim), however the batter ought to fill not more than 2/3 – 3/4 of the 2lb cake tin or else the cake might not elevate.
*per 1 out of 18 slices (together with frosting)