Admittedly, I’ve by no means been the individual that liked inexperienced bean casserole throughout Thanksgiving. I simply didn’t get the obsession. HOWEVER, just a few of years again a bunch of you requested this on Instagram and in our AK Facebook community group, so I knew I needed to make it REAL GOOD for ya.
AND OH MY LEONARDO DICAPRIO (or as I prefer to say OMLD) this wholesome inexperienced bean casserole was past superb. So creamy, scrumptious, crunchy, and recent. I make it virtually yearly now!
Now that I give it some thought, I’m actually undecided the place the unique inexperienced bean casserole recipe got here from. Was it the again of the Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup? Created by a midwestern Grandma with a bunch of random stuff in her cabinet? Beats me, all I do know is that it’s a favourite Thanksgiving facet dish and that it was in want of a critical makeover.
FREE Final Thanksgiving Information (+ printable guidelines!)
Whether or not you’re internet hosting or simply attending, this Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide e mail collection is for everybody. Enter your e mail beneath to get all of my greatest recipes, ideas, and a FREE printable guidelines for your whole Thanksgiving wants.
What’s inexperienced bean casserole?
Conventional inexperienced bean casserole is made with cream of mushroom soup, inexperienced beans and french fried onions. It could are typically a bit of mushy and fairly heavy, which is why I made a decision to freshen it up for you!
What makes this inexperienced bean casserole wholesome?
My wholesome inexperienced bean casserole model is a mixture of two selfmade classics. I used to be impressed by Alton Brown’s crunchy onion topping after which received my filling inspiration from Bon Appetit’s best ever green bean casserole.
After all, I lightened it up a bit of extra the place I may utilizing WAY much less butter, and hen broth as an alternative of heavy cream. We’re skipping the cream of mushroom soup and making a creamy parmesan gravy sauce as an alternative. SO GOOD.
After the primary chunk, I knew that this could eternally be a household favourite.
Components in wholesome inexperienced bean casserole
My lightened up tackle conventional inexperienced bean casserole is filled with unimaginable, savory flavors and the proper textures because of recent inexperienced beans, crispy onions & savory mushrooms. No soupy casserole right here! Right here’s what you’ll have to make it:
- For the crispy onions: onions, olive oil, all purpose flour, panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder & salt.
- For the inexperienced beans: you’ll be utilizing about 2 kilos of recent inexperienced beans on this recipe.
- For the mushrooms: butter, child bella mushrooms, thyme, salt & pepper.
- For the sauce: butter, all goal flour, chicken broth (or vegetarian broth), garlic, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper.
Can I make it gluten free?
Sure! Simply make a gluten free inexperienced bean casserole by utilizing gluten free all purpose flour and gluten free breadcrumbs instead of the common ones.
What makes this model scrumptious and distinctive?
- The selfmade creamy garlic parmesan mushroom gravy sauce that the recent inexperienced beans bake in.
- The selfmade baked crunchy onions on prime.
- The truth that it’s made with out cream of mushroom soup. JUST SAYIN’.
make inexperienced bean casserole forward of time
You may simply make this wholesome inexperienced bean casserole forward to save lots of time throughout Thanksgiving. Right here’s what I like to recommend:
- Put together the recipe as directed, together with including the remaining 3/4 of the crispy onions on prime besides don’t bake. Wrap with foil and place in fridge as much as 2 days forward.
- As soon as prepared, bake as directed. Eradicating foil over the past 20 minutes of baking to crisp up the onions a bit.
- Serve instantly with all of your favourite Thanksgiving dishes.
retailer & reheat inexperienced bean casserole
- To retailer: retailer any leftover inexperienced bean casserole lined within the baking pan or in separate, airtight containers within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- To reheat: merely reheat a portion of the inexperienced bean casserole within the microwave, or be at liberty to re-warm your entire baking dish to get pleasure from just a few extra servings.
Extra Thanksgiving recipes you would possibly like
Don’t overlook to take a look at all of our wholesome, scrumptious Thanksgiving recipes here!
I hope you get an opportunity to do that wholesome inexperienced bean casserole recipe out over Thanksgiving. It’s completely scrumptious, makes yummy leftovers and SO a lot better than the inexperienced bean casserole we’re all used to. In case you make it remember to depart a remark & a score so I understand how you appreciated it!
The Finest Home made Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole
Whole Time 1 hour 30 minutes
The BEST selfmade wholesome inexperienced bean casserole made with recent inexperienced beans, mushrooms and topped with selfmade crunchy onions. Lightened up from conventional variations and excellent for the vacations!
- For the onions:
medium to giant yellow onions, thinly sliced
all-purpose flour (or complete wheat pastry flour or gluten free oat flour)
- For the inexperienced beans:
recent inexperienced beans, trimmed
- For the mushrooms:
(16 ounces) sliced child bella mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- For the sauce:
all goal flour (or complete wheat pastry flour or all goal GF flour)
low sodium hen broth (or vegetarian broth)
grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly floor salt and pepper, to style
Preheat oven to 425 levels F. Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Put aside.
Place sliced onions in a big bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil then add in flour, panko bread crumbs, garlic powder and salt. Use your arms to toss to mix, then place onions onto ready baking sheet and bake for 15-25 minutes, utilizing a tong to toss the onions each 8-10 minutes or so, till good and crispy.
As soon as finished cooking, set onions apart. Cut back the warmth within the oven to 350 levels F.
Whereas the onions are cooking, convey a big pot of salted water to a boil. Add inexperienced beans in two batches, cooking for about 2-3 minutes per batch. I prefer to take away the inexperienced beans from the water with steel tongs and switch to a big bowl, then repeat with further inexperienced beans. Put aside.
Subsequent cook dinner your mushrooms: Place a big skillet over medium-high warmth and add in 2 tablespoons butter. As soon as butter melts, add within the mushrooms, recent thyme and salt and pepper. Prepare dinner mushrooms, stirring often till mushrooms are good and golden brown; about 4-6 minutes. Switch to a bowl.
In the identical skillet you cooked the mushrooms, add in 2 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter melts, whisk in flour and cook dinner for 15-30 seconds till a paste types, then VERY slowly add 2 cups of the broth, when you proceed to whisk away any lumps. You’ll have to whisk fairly vigorously.
As soon as clean, enhance warmth, and produce combination to a boil, then scale back warmth and simmer for five minutes stirring now and again till sauce thickens up a bit, much like a gravy. If it will get method too thick, add in 1/4-½ cup extra broth.
As soon as thick, flip off the warmth and stir in minced garlic and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Spray a 2 quart baking disk or 9×13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with olive oil or butter. Add in inexperienced beans, mushrooms and 1/4 of the crispy onions; gently toss collectively.
Pour the sauce throughout, then cowl with foil and bake for 25-Half-hour. Take away foil, add the remaining crispy onions on prime and bake for 5-10 extra minutes. Serves 8-10
To make gluten free: use gluten free breadcrumbs and gluten free all goal flour.
To make forward of time:
- Put together the recipe as directed, together with including the remaining 3/4 of the crispy onions on prime. Don’t bake. Wrap with foil and place in fridge as much as 2 days forward.
- As soon as prepared, bake as directed. Eradicating foil over the past 10-20 minutes of baking to crisp up the onions a bit.
- Serve instantly with all of your favourite Thanksgiving dishes.
Servings: 10 servings
Serving measurement: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 3.4g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This put up was initially revealed on November thirteenth, 2018, republished on November sixteenth, 2021, and republished on November fifteenth, 2022.
Leave a Reply