This dairy-free potato soup has been one in every of my favourite soup recipes for many years. It’s gentle, but creamy, and has an incredible wealthy taste. The recipe is from my flagship guide, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook, however I’ve determined to share it on-line, too. It’s completely nourishing that can assist you climate the chilly seasons forward.
The Greatest Dairy-Free Potato Soup with Two Secret Elements
I credit score two secret elements for making this the very best dairy-free potato soup. The primary is miso, which provides umami to the flavour and enhances yellow potatoes so effectively. It makes this extra of a creamy potato miso soup, if you wish to be extra particular. The second is a contact of cashew butter to easy the style and texture with out making the soup heavy. Nonetheless, I do have different ingredient choices and ideas within the FAQs under.
The place Do I Discover Miso?
It’s really bought in most grocery shops! Relying on the model, it may be bought refrigerated or shelf-stable within the Asian meals part. In the event you don’t see it, ask an worker on the retailer for steering.
Isn’t All Miso Soy?
Most miso is made with soy, and the kind I purchase is made with soy. However there are some variations which might be soy-free, like Miso Master Chickpea Miso. In the event you’re involved about soy for well being causes, see my put up known as Is Soy Healthy? It addresses fermented merchandise like miso particularly.
How Can I Decrease the Sodium?
You should utilize decrease sodium broth and scale back the quantity of miso, to style.
What Can I Substitute for the Miso?
It received’t spherical out the flavour as effectively, however you need to use salt, to style, instead of the miso on this creamy dairy-free potato soup.
Would One other Nut or Seed Butter Work in Place of the Cashew Butter?
A creamy and savory nut, like pine nuts, may work effectively. However I don’t personally advocate almond, peanut, or sunflower seed butter for this dairy-free potato soup recipe. They every have a taste that’s a bit too pronounced.
What Can I Substitute for the Cashew Butter?
Technically, you’ll be able to omit it if completely wanted. However if you wish to easy out the feel and add a light-weight creamy end, I’d add about 1/4 cup coconut milk, coconut cream, or a cream different, like Silk, Country Crock, or Califia Farms. Just a bit “cream” will lend richness to the potatoes with out overwhelming the style or consistency.
Particular Eating regimen Notes: Creamy Potato Soup
By elements, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, and optionally vegetarian.
Greatest Dairy-Free Potato Soup
Writer: Alisa Fleming
Recipe sort: Entree
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups rooster or vegan no-chicken broth
- ¾ pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon white miso (gluten-free or soy-free, if wanted)
- 1 teaspoon dried or chopped contemporary chives
- Freshly floor black pepper, to style
- Crispy received ton strips, tortilla strips, or crackers, for serving (gluten free, if wanted; optionally available)
- Warmth the oil in a big saucepan over medium-low warmth. Add the garlic and sauté till aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, potatoes, and onion powder. Enhance the warmth to medium and convey the soup to a boil. Scale back the warmth to medium-low, cowl, and simmer for 15 to twenty minutes, or till the potatoes are tender.
- Take away the pan from the warmth and let the soup cool for five to 10 minutes.
- Switch the soup to your blender (in batches, if wanted) and mix till easy, about 2 minutes (see Notice under).
- Return the soup to your pan. Add the cashew butter and miso and whisk till easy. Stir within the chives and black pepper.
- Divide the soup between 2 bowls and prime with crunchy strips or crackers (if utilizing).
- Retailer leftover soup in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 2 days.
Notice: Mix sizzling soups cautiously. In case your liquid is just too sizzling, the steam can construct stress as you mix and scalding soup can fly out of your blender if you take away the lid. To make sure security, take away the plastic insert from the blender lid, then safe the lid on the blender. Securely maintain a kitchen towel over the opening within the lid as you mix. This may enable steam to flee however will stop splatter.
Serving dimension: 1½ cups Energy: 130 Fats: 5.9g Saturated fats: 1.2g Carbohydrates: 12.3g Sugar: 1.5g Fiber: 1.1g Protein: 7.5g
Leave a Reply