Can oil-free onion rings actually be scrumptious? For so long as I can keep in mind, I’ve liked onion rings.
As a child, we’d go to the A&W drive-in for root beer floats and onion rings. These have been the times if you’d order from a parking house and a server would carry out your order on a tray to the automobile window.
Anybody else keep in mind that? Positive brings again reminiscences. A lot of my childhood reminiscences and of my father are linked to meals. Maybe why I get pleasure from my work to today.
Till now I’ve by no means recreated an onion ring recipe at dwelling. I’ve additionally by no means cooked with deep frying (it scares me).
And after we have ordered vegan onion rings at eating places, they haven’t been fairly pretty much as good as my reminiscences of consuming them. Are you aware what I imply?
I nonetheless love the concept of onion rings, however actually don’t look after that greasy, heavy model anymore.
So, I wished to makeover one in every of my favourite meals from childhood in a means that I may actually get pleasure from once more – and in a means that my household would get pleasure from too.
However can vegan, oil-free onion rings be tasty?
After fairly just a few trials, I landed a scrumptious, crispy, irresistible, oil-free vegan onion ring!
The key to those vegan onion rings comes down to a couple issues:
- First, presoaking the sliced onions. For the reason that onion rings are baked, this step helps soften that uncooked taste, for a extra mellow, sweeter baked onion ring.
- Second, the magic of aquafaba. Yep, our beloved plant-based weight loss plan egg-white sub shines once more! I truly haven’t been specializing in creating aquafaba recipes per se, however right here it simply appeared like the proper match – and it’s. So, don’t skip the soaking – and don’t skip the bean water.
- Lastly, the additional step of separating the breadcrumbs helps maintain these oil-free onion rings crispy. The three-step coating takes a bit little bit of endurance, however will probably be nicely value it, I promise!
Okay, sufficient speak. Time to dig into some delicious oil-free onion rings!
Please let me know what you consider these, guys – and when you have Dreena’s Kind Kitchen, you can too discover this recipe tucked inside that guide. x Dreena
Oven-Baked Onion Rings
- 1 giant or 2 medium onions
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- couple pinches sea salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup aquafaba chickpea brine; the liquid from a can of chickpeas
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups advantageous bread crumbs of selection, I like panko (possibility to make use of gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or common paprika, however smoked a lot tastier
First, slice and soak the onions. Slice in rings, and place in a bowl lined with ice-cold water. Put together 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 450 levels. Let soak for 1/2 hour. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Place the chickpea flour with the ocean salt in a ziploc bag. Put the chickpea brine in a bowl. Lastly, mix the breadcrumbs, sea salt, and paprika in a 3rd bowl. As soon as mixing by, switch roughly half of this combination to a different bowl. (The onion rings will probably be coated in three steps – first within the chickpea flour, then the chickpea brine, and eventually the breadcrumbs. Separating the breadcrumbs into two batches will assist maintain them dry so they may adhere to the onion rings. So, work with one bowl of breadcrumbs after which about midway by the coating course of, transfer on to that second bowl of breadcrumbs.)
Place the soaked/dry onions within the ziploc bag, seal, and shake to coat the rings. Take away, and dip every ring within the chickpea brine (discard any remaining), and subsequent into the breadcrumb combination. Place rings on the baking sheets. Bake for Quarter-hour. After that point, rotate the trays (from backside to prime), flip the rings, and bake one other 10-Quarter-hour till golden and crispy! Serve.
Like this recipe? You may additionally get pleasure from…
This submit was initially printed in 2016 and up to date for 2022.