We all know what you’re pondering: Cabbage soup isn’t attractive. However is it? Cabbage and fennel simply met and so they’re now inseparable. This soup is only the start of their love affair! Made with Italian seasonings, contemporary fennel, and lentils, this soup is savory, nourishing, subtly spicy, and lightweight but satisfying!
Made in simply 1 pot, it’s the proper simple meal for a comfy weeknight in! Seize your ladle — soup’s on!
This cozy, 1-pot soup begins with sautéing onion, fennel, and carrot till gentle and candy.
Subsequent we add cabbage and kale, giving this soup a lift of greens for nourishment (hey, folate, fiber, potassium, and nutritional vitamins C, Okay, and B6). Discuss full of the great things!
Then it’s on to the important thing taste gamers: Garlic, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, and crimson pepper flakes mix for an Italian-inspired seasoning combine.
Potatoes and lentils be a part of the celebration for heartiness and fiber, and all of it simmers away in vegetable broth and tomatoes till tender.
We hope you LOVE this soup! It’s:
& SO scrumptious!
It makes a comfy meal topped with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan and served with our Best Vegan Garlic Bread or Fluffy Gluten-Free Focaccia. Or for extra protein, pair with our Vegan Pepperoni, Easy Vegan Sausage (Soy- & Gluten-Free!), or Pesto “Parmesan” Turkey Meatballs.
Extra Nourishing Cabbage Recipes
For those who do this recipe, tell us! Go away a remark, fee it, and don’t overlook to tag a photograph @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, pals!
Servings 6 (~1 ½ cup servings)
- 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil (plus extra for serving // if oil-free, sub twice the quantity of water)
- 1 giant onion, peeled and finely chopped (1 giant onion yields ~ 3 cups or 225 g)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped (or sub 2 stalks of celery // 1 medium fennel bulb yields ~ 2 cups chopped or 210 g)
- 2 giant carrots, peeled and finely chopped (2 giant carrots yield ~3/4 cup or 90 g)
- 1/2 tsp every sea salt and black pepper
- 6 cups inexperienced cabbage, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups chopped kale (curly or Lacinato), sliced into 1/4-inch slices (or use extra cabbage — we just like the added colour and texture of the kale)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds, crushed flippantly in a mortar & pestle or spice grinder (or depart complete)
- 1 heaping tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp crimson pepper flakes (to style)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or store-bought)
- 1 medium-large yellow potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (1 potato yields ~3 cups or 300g)
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry inexperienced lentils
Warmth the oil in a big pot over medium warmth. As soon as scorching, add the onion, fennel (or celery), and carrot. Sauté gently for 8 minutes, stirring often, till the greens are gentle. Stir within the salt and pepper — don’t be tempted to show the warmth on top of things this up or the veggies gained’t get as candy.
Add within the cabbage and kale (if utilizing), and sauté for one more 5 minutes till wilted. Then stir within the garlic, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, and crimson pepper flakes. Cook dinner for 1 extra minute till the fennel seeds are aromatic.
Stir within the vegetable broth, diced potatoes, crushed tomatoes, and lentils. Deliver to a simmer, cowl (with the lid barely ajar), and simmer on medium-low for 30-40 minutes, or till the lentils are tender however not mushy.
Style and modify as wanted, including extra salt for total taste or crimson pepper flakes for warmth.
Leftover soup will maintain effectively in a sealed container within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days or within the freezer for as much as 1 month.
*Vitamin info is a tough estimate calculated with out non-obligatory elements.
Serving: 1 serving Energy: 251 Carbohydrates: 43.6 g Protein: 9.5 g Fats: 5.8 g Saturated Fats: 0.8 g Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.8 g Monounsaturated Fats: 3.5 g Trans Fats: 0 g Ldl cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 1089 mg Potassium: 851 mg Fiber: 11.4 g Sugar: 12.9 g Vitamin A: 785 IU Vitamin C: 52 mg Calcium: 161 mg Iron: 4.2 mg