This lentil kale salad is full of daring flavours and makes an ideal selection for meal prep or a wholesome meal any night time of the week.
About this Recipe
This lentil kale salad makes a scrumptious and nutritious lunch or dinner that’s straightforward to whip up with minimal effort.
It options kale, olives, cucumber, tomato, artichoke and a tangy shallot Dijon French dressing to deliver all of it collectively. In case you’re in search of a strategy to embrace extra lentils and kale in your food regimen, it is a nice strategy to do it!
It may be made with inexperienced, brown or French lentils or you’ll be able to even use canned lentils to make it straightforward fast and straightforward. It holds up effectively for meal prep, is simple to customise with totally different swaps and additions and the flavours solely get higher the following day.
It’s additionally nice to deliver alongside to gatherings and is vegan and gluten-free so works effectively for these with dietary restrictions. You’ll love the yummy mixture of flavours and textures that make this salad stand out.
What You Want
This part offers notes on the components and attainable substitutions. Please scroll down the web page to search out the printable recipe card with ingredient measurements.
For the Salad
- Lentils: You should utilize inexperienced, brown or black lentils on this recipe. Don’t use pink lentils.
- Bay Leaf: Elective for cooking the lentils.
- Kale: You should utilize any number of kale however I like Tuscan, or lacinato kale.
- Olives: The recipe requires kalamata olives however you may substitute sliced black olives if that’s what you’ve gotten.
- Artichoke Hearts: Use jarred marinated artichoke hearts.
- Cucumber: Use recent cucumber or substitute one thing like pink bell pepper.
- Tomato: Use cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Almonds: You should utilize slivered almonds or chop entire almonds. Uncooked or dry roasted almonds work. You may substitute walnuts or pecans or for a nut-free recipe, pepitas or sunflower seeds.
- Feta: Elective however vegan feta is a scrumptious addition to the salad. You should utilize store-bought or do this tofu feta recipe.
For the Dressing
- Olive Oil: Further virgin olive oil is greatest for flavour.
- Purple Wine Vinegar: You may substitute apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Maple Syrup: Honey or agave syrup can be appropriate substitute.
- Herbs & Spices: You’ll want dried thyme and cumin.
- Garlic: Use uncooked garlic or substitute 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Shallot: Shallot is greatest however you’ll be able to substitute very thinly sliced pink onion should you don’t have shallot.
The best way to Make (with Photographs)
Step 1: Prepare dinner the Lentils
Add the lentils to a pot with 4 cups of water, the bay leaf and a few salt. Deliver it to a boil, scale back the warmth to medium-low and cook dinner the lentils for 22-26 minutes till they’re tender however not mushy.
The precise cooking time will depend upon the kind of lentils used.
Fast Tip: Quick on time? Use canned lentils!
Step 2: Make the Dressing
In a big mixing bowl or salad serving bowl, or perhaps a meals storage container should you’re making this for meal prep, add the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, dijon, thyme, cumin and garlic.
Season it with salt and pepper and blend effectively. Add the shallots and blend once more.
We wish to give the shallots a while to marinate within the dressing in order that they soften and should not so sharp in style.
Step 3: Therapeutic massage the Kale
Add the kale to the bowl first and toss or therapeutic massage it with the dressing. This helps to melt the kale.
Step 4: Assemble the Salad
To the bowl or container with the dressing, add the kale and toss or therapeutic massage to coat. Add the cooked lentils and the remainder of the salad components and blend. Serve with vegan feta should you like!
Incessantly Requested Questions
Sure. To make use of canned lentils, use a 19 oz can and drain and rinse effectively earlier than use.
It is going to be heat if you add the lentils and you may positively serve it that approach but it surely’s extra of a chilly salad for the reason that different components are recent.
You might additionally cook dinner and chill the lentils earlier than including them or combine it up and chill within the fridge earlier than serving for a chilly salad.
Variations & Adfditions
- Add a 15 oz can of rained and rinsed chickpeas.
- Add as much as 1/2 cup dried cranberries, dates, raisins or currants.
- Add as much as 1/2 cup chopped solar dried tomatoes.
- Add 1-2 cups cooked quinoa.
Did you do this recipe?
I’d love to listen to about it! Click here to leave a review and remember to tag me @runningonrealfood should you publish it on social media.
A flavour-packed lentil kale salad because of daring components like artichoke hearts, olives, tangy shallot French dressing and feta.
For the Salad
For the Dressing
- Prepare dinner Lentils: In a medium pot, add lentils, 4 cups water, bay leaf and salt. Deliver to a boil. As soon as boiling, scale back warmth to medium-low. Prepare dinner for 22-26 min, till lentils are tender, however not mushy. Drain lentils. Discard bay leaf.
- Make Dressing: In the meantime, in a big bowl, add oil, vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon, thyme, cumin and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then whisk to mix. Add shallots and blend once more. Put aside. NOTE: You wish to give the shallots time to marinate within the dressing so they don’t seem to be so sharp in style.)
- Prep Salad: Whereas the lentils are cooking, chop the cucumbers and tomatoes and put together the remaining salad components.
- Assemble Salad: To the bowl with the dressing, add kale. Toss or therapeutic massage to coat. Add cooked lentils, olives, artichokes, cucumber, tomatoes and half the toasted almonds. Season with salt and pepper, then toss once more to mix.
- Serve: Serve salad with remaining almonds sprinkled over high. Prime with vegan feta, if desired.
Serves 4 as a most important dish or 6+ as a aspect dish. Diet info are for six servings
- Serving Dimension: 1
- Energy: 343
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 245 mg
- Fats: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 12 g
Key phrases: lentil kale salad