OMG this cake. I first posted it just a few summers in the past as a result of I knew AK readers have been the largest lemon lovers. This beautiful lemon blueberry zucchini cake really took it to the following degree — and for good purpose too…THIS CAKE IS SIMPLY AMAZING.
It’s made in a single bowl, and baked in a single pan (no have to layer!). You’d by no means guess that it’s more healthy, gluten free, and made with zucchini! I’m telling you, this wholesome lemon blueberry cake is subsequent degree.
FREE Zucchini Recipe E-Ebook
Join under and get a FREE downloadable, printable e-book with my greatest zucchini recipes (candy and savory!)
Lemon blueberry zucchini cake elements
This scrumptious gluten free blueberry zucchini cake is made with recent, wholesome produce like zucchini, lemons and blueberries, and is gluten free due to almond & oat flour. Simply wait till you attempt that lemon buttercream. YUM. It’s simply dairy free, too! Right here’s every thing you’ll want:
- Zucchini: shredded zucchini provides the right quantity of moisture to this cake in order that we don’t have to make use of any oil. Be sure you measure the shredded zucchini, then squeeze it of extra moisture.
- Eggs: you’ll want two eggs on this cake recipe.
- Honey: this wholesome blueberry zucchini cake is of course sweetened with honey! You can additionally use pure maple syrup for those who want however I really like the honey + lemon combo.
- Lemon: we’re utilizing each lemon juice and lemon zest for the last word lemon taste.
- Almond extract: for that scrumptious lemon cake flavor.
- Almond flour: to maintain this cake gluten free we’re utilizing high-quality, blanched almond flour.
- Gluten free oat flour: we’re additionally mixing the almond flour with gluten free oat flour. It’s one among my favourite combos! See under for the right way to simply make it your self!
- Baking soda & salt: to bake this cake up correctly.
- Blueberries: pile in recent, juicy blueberries. Sure, please!
- For the frosting: the lemon buttercream is made up of butter (or vegan butter), powdered sugar, lemon juice & lemon zest.
Can I exploit a distinct flour?
Sadly, I can not suggest an alternative to the almond flour on this wholesome blueberry zucchini cake because it’s the one “fats” on this recipe that helps maintain the cake moist and retain its texture. For the oat flour, I feel common flour or a gluten free 1:1 flour would work effectively, however please be aware that I haven’t examined it myself.
Learn how to make home made oat flour
You may simply make your individual gluten free oat flour by merely inserting gluten free oats right into a blender and mixing or pulsing till they’re clean and resemble flour. It is a tremendous simple & inexpensive choice. Be sure you measure out 1 cup of your oat flour after making it! It’s additionally vital to verify your oat flour is VERY high-quality. Check out my tutorial with all of my greatest ideas & tips.
If you wish to maintain this cake gluten free, I counsel utilizing gluten free oats to make your oat flour.
Suggestions for making the most effective gluten free blueberry zucchini cake
- Squeeze out ALL of the additional moisture out of your zucchini. This may make sure that the zucchini cake bakes up effectively and isn’t too moist. First measure the zucchini, then squeeze it of extra moisture earlier than including it to the batter.
- Zest your lemons earlier than juicing them. This makes it a lot simpler to get all the zest from the rind!
- Toss your blueberries in a little bit of oat flour earlier than mixing them into the batter. This may make sure that the cake doesn’t flip fully blue and that the blueberries don’t fall to the underside.
- Make this zucchini cake dairy free. Merely use a vegan buttery stick within the frosting (or swap to your favourite dairy free frosting & add a bit lemon zest + lemon juice — we love Simple Mills frosting!)
Learn how to retailer lemon blueberry zucchini cake
This gluten free lemon blueberry zucchini cake can truly be made 1-2 days forward of time! You can too retailer it after you’ve frosted the cake, too.
- To retailer: be happy to maintain the cake at room temp for sooner or later. After that, I like to recommend storing the cake lined within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- To freeze: be happy to freeze this cake both frosted or unfrosted for as much as 2 months. I like to recommend freezing it unfrosted for greatest outcomes. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil after which inserting the cake in a zip-top freezer bag. While you’re able to serve it, merely thaw it within the fridge in a single day, let the cake come to room temperature, frost it and serve it.
Instruments you’ll want
Try all of our favourite kitchen essentials here.
Extra zucchini recipes you’ll love
Get all of our wonderful zucchini recipes here!
I hope you like this simple lemon blueberry zucchini cake recipe! In the event you make it remember to go away a remark and a score so I understand how you preferred it. Keep tuned for extra zucchini recipes all week, xo!
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake with Lemon Frosting
Beautiful lemon blueberry zucchini cake bursting with juicy blueberries and topped with a luscious lemon buttercream frosting. This simple, gluten free blueberry zucchini cake is made with a mixture of oat and almond flour and naturally sweetened with honey. A scrumptious snacking cake good for utilizing summer time produce!
- Moist elements:
shredded zucchini (from 1 medium zucchini)
- zest from 2 lemons
recent lemon juice
- Dry elements:
packed blanched high-quality almond flour
gluten free oat flour
- For the blueberries:
heaping cup recent blueberries
gluten free oat flour
- For the lemon frosting:
butter (or sub vegan buttery stick), at room temperature
recent lemon juice
- To garnish:
- Additional blueberries for sprinkling on high
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Line an 8×8 inch sq. pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Put aside.
First, measure out 1 cup of shredded zucchini, then place shredded zucchini in a paper towel or cheese material and squeeze out all the moisture/water. This is essential!
Add shredded zucchini, eggs, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract to a big bowl and whisk collectively till effectively mixed.
Subsequent, add dry elements: almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt. Combine along with a picket spoon till effectively mixed.
In a separate medium bowl, toss blueberries along with 2 tablespoons of oat flour. (That is to forestall the blueberries from sinking to the underside of the cake whereas baking.) Fold coated blueberries into the batter.
Pour batter into the ready pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or till a tester comes out clear. Permit the cake to chill fully on a wire rack earlier than frosting. I do know that is tough but it surely’s crucial (in any other case the frosting will soften and change into a gooey mess!)
Make the frosting: beat collectively butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest collectively on excessive with a hand mixer or within the bowl of an electrical mixer till clean. Unfold frosting over cooled cake. Garnish with just a few blueberries. Reduce into 9 slices and revel in!
I don’t suggest a substitution for almond flour, as that’s the one ‘fats’ on this recipe and helps to maintain the cake moist and retain its texture.
In the event you’re searching for an oat flour sub, I feel common flour or GF 1:1 flour would work effectively, however haven’t examined it myself.
Cake might be made a day forward of time. After a day, the cake needs to be transferred and saved within the fridge.
Servings: 9 servings
Serving measurement: 1 slice (with frosting)
Saturated fats: 7.3g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This put up was initially revealed on August 4, 2020, republished on June 4, 2021, and republished on Might twenty fourth, 2023.
Leave a Reply