This Thai impressed butternut squash curry with chickpeas and spinach is creamy, comforting and straightforward to arrange in 45 minutes.
About this Recipe
This creamy butternut squash curry is straightforward to make however delivers excellent flavour making it best for every part from no-fuss weeknight meals to entertaining.
The recipe is brimming with the flavour due to roasted butternut squash, coconut milk, tomato, spices and lime. Roasting the squash enhances out its pure flavours including a delicate earthy sweetness to the dish.
Whereas the butternut squash is roasting, you’ll cook dinner up aromatics like shallot, garlic and ginger after which add curry powder and purple curry paste to proceed constructing the flavour.
Tomato, coconut milk and broth add a creamy base and chickpeas and spinach are added for diet and texture.
Lime, sugar and cilantro pull every part collectively on the finish for an addictive stability of spicy, candy, tangy and umami flavours.
The curry is ideal for weeknight dinners because it’s straightforward to make with pantry substances. You’ll love warming up with a bowl of this curry on a chilly winter day!
- Vegan and gluten-free.
- Straightforward to make with easy substances.
- Prepared in 45 minutes.
- Serve with rice for a whole meal.
- Customise with totally different veggies.
Please observe the whole ingredient record with quantities if discovered within the recipe card on the finish of the put up. This part covers notes on every ingredient and attainable substitutions.
- Butternut Squash: You’ll want one medium-sized butternut squash or about 4-5 cups diced. Candy potato or one other number of squash would work effectively as an alternative. The quantity doesn’t must be precise so don’t fear an excessive amount of concerning the dimension of the squash.
- Oil: You should use any type of cooking oil you want for roasting the squash. I used olive oil.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil works effectively for sautéing the aromatics and veggies and toasting the spices. You’ll be able to substitute one other oil like avocado oil or olive oil if you happen to desire.
- Shallot: Shallot works nice right here however you’ll be able to substitute one other number of onion if that’s what you’ve.
- Garlic & Ginger: For the very best flavour, you’ll want contemporary garlic and ginger for this recipe.
- Curry Powder: Use a light yellow curry powder.
- Crimson Curry Paste: Use Thai purple curry paste or substitute yellow curry paste.
- Crushed Tomato: Use canned crushed tomatoes or substitute canned diced tomatoes. Crushed tomato will make the curry base a bit smoother however diced tomato additionally works effectively.
- Coconut Milk: You should use gentle or common canned coconut milk. Full-fat/common coconut milk is usually recommended.
- Inventory: Any vegetable broth or inventory works. Should you don’t have any available, you need to use water.
- Soy Sauce or Tamari: Use any soy sauce, I desire sodium-reduced soy sauce, or substitute gluten-free tamari if wanted.
- Coconut Sugar: Just a bit sugar to stability the flavours. You’ll be able to substitute white or brown sugar and even maple syrup.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans): Canned chickpeas work nice or you’ll be able to cook dinner your personal from scratch.
- Spinach: I feel child spinach is the very best inexperienced to make use of right here although child kale would additionally work.
- Cilantro: Use cilantro or strive Thai basil.
- Lime: Lime provides somewhat acidity on the finish to brighten and stability the flavour.
Roast the Squash
Step one is to roast the butternut squash. This step caramelizes the pure sugars within the squash, intensifying the flavour for additional deliciousness!
Start by making ready the squash.
Reduce the ends off, peel it and lower in half in crosswise so you’ve the highest half and the underside half in two sections.
Reduce every of these in half length-wise, then use a spoon to scoop the seeds out. Cube all of it up into roughly 3/4-inch cubes.
Begin the Curry
Whereas the squash is roasting, you will get began on the curry.
Warmth the coconut oil in a big pot over medium warmth then add the shallots and cook dinner for 3-5 minutes, stirring them usually till they’re tender and aromatic.
Add the garlic, ginger, remaining curry powder and the Thai purple curry paste. Prepare dinner the combination for one more minute or two whereas stirring to toast the spices.
Add the crushed tomato, coconut milk, chickpeas and 1 cup of broth or water, scraping the underside of the pot to loosen any brown bits.
Season the combination with a pinch of salt and pepper and convey it to a simmer over medium-high warmth. As soon as it’s simmering, cut back the warmth to medium-low and cook dinner it for about 12-Quarter-hour till it reduces a bit (thickens).
End the Curry
To complete your curry, spinach, soy sauce or tamari and coconut sugar and blend for a few minutes till the spinach wilts and mixes in.
Stir within the roasted butternut squash, lime juice and contemporary cilantro.
Fast Word: For an additional creamy end, strive mixing a scoop of the roasted butternut squash with 2 cups of the curry liquid (earlier than including the spinach), then pouring the blended portion again into the pot and stirring to mix.
You would additionally pulse an immersion blender within the pot a number of instances after including the squash however earlier than including the spinach.
Serve the Curry
Serve your curry instantly, over basmati rice and topped with extra cilantro and lime and chopped peanuts or cashews, if desired. Some contemporary naan, roti or pita can also be scrumptious for dipping!
- You should use wherever from 1-5 cups of broth relying on how thick you’d like your curry or if you happen to’re making soup. Word that it’s going to thicken considerably storing so I discover about 2 cups works greatest.
Variations & Additions
- Butternut Squash Curry Soup: This make this into curried squash soup, enhance the broth to 4-5 cups.
- Extra greens that work effectively are purple or inexperienced bell pepper, inexperienced beans, zucchini, cauliflower or carrot. You’ll be able to add as much as 2 cups extra greens, including them while you add the garlic and ginger. I’d recommend maintaining it easy and solely including 1-2 extras.
- For peanut curry, add 1-2 tbsp peanut butter while you add the coconut sugar and soy sauce.
- For a lower-sodium recipe, use decreased sodium soy sauce and broth, use water as an alternative of broth.
- For spicy curry, add 1-2 Thai purple chilis with the garlic and ginger. Watch out as they’re fairly sizzling! You would additionally use 1-2 tsp sambal oelek or as much as 1 tsp of purple pepper flakes.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
No. You don’t must however I just like the flavour and texture the roasting provides. To make this recipe in a single pot with out roasting the squash. Add the squash while you add the chickpeas and simmer till the squash is tender.
- Fridge: Let the curry cool then retailer in an hermetic container for 4-5 days.
- Freezer: Let the curry cool fully then retailer in a heavy-duty freezer bag or freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- Reheat the curry in a pan on the stovetop over medium warmth till simmering or within the microwave in 30-second increments till heated by way of.
Did you do that recipe? I’d love to listen to about it! Click here to leave a review.
This butternut squash and chickpea curry recipe is superb for warming up throughout the cooler months. Serve over rice for consolation in a bowl!
- 1 medium butternut squash, diced into ¾-inch items (700 g, about 5 cups)
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tsp gentle yellow curry powder, divided
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 giant shallot, diced (50g, ½ cup diced)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (30 g)
- 1 14 oz (398 mL) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz (400 mL) can coconut milk
- 1–2 cups vegetable inventory or water (250-500 mL)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (15 g)
- 1 540 mL (19 oz) can chickpeas or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 cups child spinach (85 g)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ½ lime, juice
- cooked rice
- lime wedges
- Put together the Squash: Preheat the oven 400 F. Reduce each ends off the squash, peel it, then lower in half crosswise so you’ve the highest and backside as two items. Slice each bit in half down the middle vertically, so that you simply now have 4 items of squash. Use a spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds and pulp. Reduce the squash into ¾-inch items.
- Roast Squash: Switch squash to a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tsp oil, then season with 1 tsp of the curry powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast on the center rack of the oven for 24-28 min, stirring midway, till tender and golden-brown. Roasting the squash caramelizes the pure sugars, intensifying the flavour.
- Saute Shallot: Whereas the squash roasts, in a big pot, warmth 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium warmth. When the pot is sizzling, add the shallots. Prepare dinner for 3-5 min, stirring usually, till tender.
- Add Ginger, Garlic & Spices: Add garlic, ginger, 1 tsp curry powder and curry paste. Prepare dinner for one more 1-2 minutes, stirring consistently, to toast the spices.
- Add Liquids & Chickpeas: Add tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk and 1 cup of the broth, scraping backside of the pot to loosen all of the brown bits. Season with salt and pepper. Deliver to a simmer over excessive warmth. As soon as simmering, cut back warmth to medium-low. Prepare dinner for 12-15 minutes, till barely decreased.
- Non-compulsory – Mix Curry: Should you’d just like the curry to be thicker, scoop about 2 cups of the curry right into a blender and add about 1 cup of the roasted butternut squash. Mix till easy then pour again into the pot. You may also pulse an immersion blender within the pot a number of instances after including the squash however earlier than including the spinach. This step is non-compulsory.
- End Curry: Add the spinach, soy sauce and coconut sugar. Prepare dinner for one more 2-4 min, stirring often, till spinach wilts and flavours are mixed. Add the butternut squash, lime juice and chopped cilantro. Modify the consistency with extra broth, if desired.
- Serve Curry: Divide curry between bowls alongside rice of alternative. Prime with remaining extra cilantro, lime and peanuts, if desired.
To function a butternut squash curry soup, enhance the broth to 4 cups. For various thickness, you need to use wherever between 1-5 cups of broth. It’s prompt to start out with 1 cup of broth and slowly enhance to succeed in your required consistency. Word that the curry will thicken considerably after storing, so I often use 2-3 cups broth.
Retailer leftover curry within the fridge in a sealed container for as much as 5 days. Reheat within the microwave. To freeze, cool fully and retailer in a heavy responsibility freezer bag or container for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- Serving Dimension: 1/sixth of recipe
- Energy: 338
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 624 mg
- Fats: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 8 g
Key phrases: butternut squash curry
Leave a Reply