This saucy and scrumptious vegan orange “rooster” is made with crispy baked cauliflower, contemporary orange juice, and caramely dates. It’s clear, tremendous saucy, crispy, tasty, filling, and easy-to-make. In the event you’re a fan of Panda Categorical’ authentic orange rooster, you’re going to like this vegan-friendly model much more. The very first time I made it it turned one among my favourite dishes!
Panda Categorical Vegan Choices Are Rising
I have to admit, I didn’t notice Panda Categorical now has so many plant-based choices. Once I was a child, I don’t assume there have been any past steamed greens and tofu. However the world has modified a lot since I turned vegan! Panda Categorical vegan choices have grown with the chain. They now serve their most iconic dish Orange Hen made with Past Meat, a dish referred to as Tremendous Greens, vegan vegetable spring rolls, vegan chow mein, eggplant tofu, and even vegan fortune cookies. I really like that you could find scrumptious vegan choices at fast-food chains all around the globe; particularly filling entrees.
Nevertheless, I feel quick meals is greatest reserved for particular events and journey (when there’s nothing else round). Remember the fact that quick meals chains are actually touting plant-based menus, however they’re doing little to forestall cross contamination even for vegan friends. A go to to the Chipotle counter makes that abundantly clear. Even with out animal merchandise of their menu gadgets, vegan quick meals remains to be laden with obscene quantities of sodium, fats, and closely processed substances. Extra cause to make your favourite Panda Categorical vegan dish at house!
Higher-Than-Panda Categorical Vegan Orange Cauliflower Is
- Saucy & Scorching
- Sweetened with Dates
- Nutritious & Healthful
- Low in Fats
- Air-fryer pleasant
- Wholesome consolation meals
- A traditional favourite
The Star Components
Cauliflower: As a rooster alternative cauliflower works due to its form and the truth that it turns into tender and juicy when cooked. For this recipe I wanted crispy cauliflower, so I tossed it in a easy batter and air fried till golden and crispy on the surface, and scorching and tender inside. Within the recipe beneath you’ll discover directions for cooking it within the air fryer and the oven.
Orange Juice: It wouldn’t be orange “rooster” with out the scrumptious style of contemporary orange! For the most effective taste, use freshly squeezed orange juice. Since we’re not utilizing any refined sugar within the sauce, the orange juice provides sweetness, together with dates.
Dates: Candy and bitter sauce is nice when made with cane sugar, however it’s unimaginable when made with dates. I take advantage of medjool dates which have a wealthy caramel taste. It’s akin to creating orange rooster with brown sugar, however even higher. Don’t fear about having chunks of date in your sauce, you’ll mix it earlier than including it to the crispy cauliflower.
The best way to make Panda Categorical Vegan Orange Cauliflower
- The 1st step: Make the tangy orange sauce on the range. Sauté contemporary ginger and garlic, earlier than including freshly squeezed orange juice, dates, soy sauce (or tamari), rice vinegar, and corn starch.
- Step two: After simmering the sauce and softening the dates, mix the sauce till creamy and thick.
- Step three: Make a batter for the cauliflower with flour, garlic powder, salt, and soy milk. Toss cauliflower items within the moist batter. Elective: Switch the coated cauliflower to a cooling rack to let the surplus batter drip off. In any other case, shake the surplus batter off.
- Step 4: Air fry or bake the cauliflower. Air frying is quicker and makes a crispier crust. Nevertheless you might have to cook dinner the cauliflower in batches as a result of it might not all match without delay.
- Step 5: Toss the crispy cauliflower with the orange sauce and serve over brown rice or white rice. Serve alongside steamed or sautéed broccoli, onions, and crimson bell peppers. Garnish with shaved crimson cabbage, inexperienced onions, sesame seeds, and cilantro.
Suggestions for Making Vegan Orange Cauliflower
- Make the orange sauce first and if vital, reheat it on the range earlier than tossing with the cauliflower.
- Grease the underside of the air fryer with a twig oil to forestall sticking.
- Coat the tops of the cauliflower with a twig oil earlier than air frying or baking to make it crispier.
- Be aware to not overcrowd your cauliflower because it air fries or bakes. Maintain no less than 1 inch between items to permit it the crisp evenly.
Cauliflower swaps: The sauce is admittedly the star of this present! As a lot as I really like making this recipe with cauliflower, I additionally like it with crispy tofu, battered oyster mushrooms, and even chickpeas. In the event you’re in a rush, make the sauce and pour it over a fast veggie stir fry with cooked chickpeas.
Orange juice: In the event you don’t have contemporary oranges, search for the freshest orange juice on the retailer. Keep away from pasteurized OJ as a result of it doesn’t have the intense and contemporary style that contemporary orange juice does.
Cornstarch: Use arrowroot powder rather than cornstarch. Works the identical!
Soy sauce: In case you are allergic to soy, do this orange sauce with coconut aminos.
Dates: Use 1/4 cup coconut sugar rather than dates. In the event you don’t have coconut sugar use a mixture of brown and white sugars.
The best way to reheat
As with all issues crispy, it’s best to reheat this Panda Categorical Vegan Orange Cauliflower in a toaster oven, not a microwave. Reheat within the oven at 350° for 10 minutes. In case your involved in regards to the sauce drying out within the oven, stir in only a sprint of water or low sodium soy sauce earlier than it goes in.
Can I freeze?
Freeze the orange sauce for as much as 3 months. For greatest outcomes, make the crispy cauliflower contemporary earlier than serving.
Additionally Strive These Associated Recipes
Higher-Than-Panda Categorical Vegan Orange Cauliflower
This Higher-than-Panda Categorical vegan orange “rooster” is made with crispy baked cauliflower, contemporary orange juice, and caramely dates. It is clear, tremendous saucy, crispy, tasty, filling, and easy-to-make.
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil or impartial oil
- 2 tbsp contemporary ginger minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup contemporary squeezed orange juice 2- 3 oranges
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 massive pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup water + 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch dissolve and stir the cornstarch within the water earlier than including to recipe
- 1 small head of cauliflower minimize into chew sized items
- 1 cup soy milk, unsweetened & plain or different plain unsweetened vegan milk
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour or gluten-free model
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan on medium warmth, then add the ginger and garlic, and cook dinner for about 1 minute till aromatic and frivolously golden.
Add the orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and dates.
Convey to a simmer, and cook dinner for five minutes.
Take away it from the warmth, and stir within the cornstarch combination. Stir for about 1 minute till it begins to thicken.
Permit the sauce to chill for a bit, then switch it to a blender and mix till easy.
In a mixing bowl mix the flour, garlic powder, salt, and soy milk. Stir effectively, then add the cauliflower items to the combination and stir to completely coat.
AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS: Grease the underside of the air fryer with a twig oil. Take away the cauliflower from the batter and shake off any extra earlier than inserting the cauliflower into the air fryer in an excellent layer. Maintain no less than 1/2″ house between the cauliflower. Spray the tops of the cauliflower with oil. Air fry for 15-20 minutes at 350°, or till crispy and golden.
OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat the oven to 375º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take away the cauliflower from the batter and shake off any extra earlier than inserting the cauliflower on the parchment paper in an excellent layer. Maintain no less than 1/2″ house between the cauliflower. Spray the tops of the cauliflower with oil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or till crispy and golden.
On a serving plate toss the crispy cauliflower within the orange sauce. If vital, reheat the sauce on the range earlier than tossing the cauliflower.
Serve over fluffy rice and garnish with shaved crimson cabbage, cilantro, sesame seeds, or your favourite toppings.