Typically I get on a serious bread-baking kick. A number of weeks in the past I shared my mother’s No Knead Seeded Honey Oat Artisan Bread and it jogged my memory of my different all-time favourite bread recipes that I shared a number of years again.
The inclination to bake my very own sandwich bread got here after visiting my Grandma a number of years in the past and watching her crank out her homemade bread faster than Martha Stewart. Not solely was the bread SO significantly better than the store-bought model, but it surely was a artistic hands-on exercise that I felt I may incorporate into a day. Plus, baking home made bread simply makes me proud, you realize?
So right here we’re! I needed to re-share a traditional: my tender, home made wholesome sandwich bread recipe made with complete wheat flour, nutritious seeds, oats and naturally sweetened with only a contact of honey. I’ve been making this for years now and all the time come again to it. We use this sandwich bread recipe for sandwiches, garlic bread, french toast, avocado toast — the checklist goes on! And now you can also make it too.
Components for wholesome sandwich bread
This pretty, wholesome bread recipe makes use of easy components to create a nutritious, completely fluffy bread you’ll significantly make many times. Right here’s every thing you’ll must make it:
- Milk: I’ve used each common milk and almond milk with success. You simply want to verify the milk is heat, however not scorching. 115 levels F is the optimum temperature for bread making, however should you don’t have a thermometer to make use of, one of the best gauge is your finger. Heat the milk appears like heat bathtub water if you check it together with your finger.
- Oats: this wholesome sandwich bread recipe requires complete grain rolled oats. It provides a pleasant hearty texture to the bread. The oats will soak within the milk for five minutes to assist soften them a bit.
- Honey: to assist activate the yeast, we’re utilizing a tablespoon of honey which provides the bread a really slight sweetness. In case you don’t wish to use honey, brown sugar will even work.
- Yeast: use quick rise or instant yeast on this sandwich bread recipe to assist the bread rise quicker. You too can use lively dry yeast, however the bread could take a barely longer time to rise.
- Butter: fats helps to present the bread a finer crumb and higher texture, however we’re solely utilizing 3 tablespoons. Be happy to make use of vegan butter too!
- Bread flour: to assist hold this seedy sandwich bread tender, fluffy and ethereal, we’re utilizing bread flour, which has a better protein degree to assist lighten the bread’s texture. The upper quantities of protein assist to provide extra gluten, which provides bread its chewiness, texture and conventional ethereal holes.
- Complete wheat flour: I wished this sandwich bread recipe to incorporate complete grains so I opted for a little bit whole wheat flour. It’s vital that you simply use 100% complete wheat flour on this recipe.
- Flaxseed meal: not solely does flaxseed meal assist to soak up some liquid on this recipe, but it surely additionally provides a wholesome dose of fiber and protein to the bread. Flaxseed meal is essential, please don’t skip it.
- Seeds: this recipe requires sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds, which not solely improve the flavour of the bread but additionally give it a tasty slight crunch particularly when toasted!
- Salt: bread made with out salt tastes very plain and as well as, salt additionally helps to regulate yeast in bread recipes so don’t skip it.
Technically you must use a scale to measure flour, however there’s actually no drawback should you don’t have one as a result of most yeast breads will be very forgiving. Studying how you can measure flour correctly will guarantee success, so take a look at my tutorial here and keep in mind to observe the video for full directions!
All about yeast: which to make use of & how you can activate
I get this query on a regular basis in my cinnamon roll recipe and might perceive why it could be complicated to know in case your yeast is activated. First, it’s vital to know that there are two varieties of yeast to select from:
- The primary is lively dry yeast, which should be dissolved in liquid, or additionally what’s often called being “proofed” earlier than it’s added to the remainder of the dough components.
- The second sort of yeast is immediate yeast, often known as quick rise yeast (that is the model I take advantage of and love!). That’s what we’re utilizing for this seedy wholesome sandwich bread recipe. It may be added to the dough with out proofing required. Nevertheless, I nonetheless prefer to dissolve it in a little bit little bit of milk to assist get it began.
You should use both sort of yeast on this recipe, simply know that should you use lively dry yeast, it could take the bread longer to rise. You’ll know when the yeast is activated if you see a number of small foamy trying bubbles begin to pop up within the milk/oat/honey combination.
Ideas for baking home made sandwich bread
- Watch the second rise. The bread shouldn’t come greater than 1 inch above the brim of the pan throughout the second rise. The climate, how a lot you kneaded the dough and the temperature in your house can have an effect on how rapidly your dough will rise. So simply be sure you’re protecting a detailed eye on it.
- Examine the temp. Bread is finished when the inner temperature reaches 190 levels F. This bread is all the time completely finished for me between 35-40 minutes.
- Let it sit. Wait no less than 2 hours till chopping into the bread. I do know it may be very tempting, however should you minimize into it sooner it can almost definitely alter and alter the feel.
- Strive it vegan. This bread can simply be made vegan, merely use brown sugar as an alternative of honey, almond milk for the common milk, vegan butter and skip the egg wash!
retailer home made bread
- To retailer: it’s finest to retailer home made sandwich bread on the counter. As soon as the bread is totally cool, wrap it in plastic and retailer at room temperature. If the climate is scorching or humid, it’s finest to retailer the bread within the fridge.
- To freeze the bread: wrap it in plastic wrap, then seal it in a ziplock plastic bag, ensuring to get all of the air out of the bag. You too can wrap the bread in plastic after which wrap it tightly in foil. Bread ought to final 3 months within the freezer. As soon as able to serve, unwrap the bread and thaw at room temperature.
Extra bread recipes you would possibly like
Get all of my bread recipes here!
I hope you LOVE this wholesome bread recipe as a lot as now we have loved making it for you! Please depart a remark and fee the recipe should you make it. Get pleasure from, xo!
The Greatest Wholesome Comfortable Seedy Sandwich Bread
Prep Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Whole Time 3 hours 5 minutes
This home made wholesome sandwich bread recipe is tender and made with wholesome components like complete wheat flour, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, oats, flaxseed and only a contact of honey. You’ll love making this for wholesome sandwiches, avocado toast, french toast and a lot extra!
- For the bread:
milk (be at liberty to make use of unsweetened almond milk)
old school rolled oats
fast rise yeast
complete wheat flour, plus extra if needed
- Oil, for coating
- For the egg wash:
- For topping:
old school rolled oats
- Non-obligatory: additional poppyseeds and sesame seeds
Warmth milk in a small saucepan over low warmth till milk is heat (about 115 levels F). It needs to be heat to the contact like heat bathwater however not scorching. Take away from warmth and pour into a big bowl and stir in oats, yeast and honey. Let the combination sit for five minutes.
Subsequent, stir in melted butter into the bowl with the oats/yeast/honey. Instantly add in bread flour, complete wheat flour, flaxseed meal and salt combine with a picket spoon till a dough begins to kind.
Add in sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppyseeds and gently combine into the dough. At this level I prefer to get the dough to return along with clear arms. Place dough onto a well-floured floor and knead the dough together with your arms for 10 minutes. An alternative choice is to make use of the dough hook in your electrical mixer to knead the dough (I choose this technique as a result of it is simpler).
As soon as finished kneading, kind dough right into a ball and place in a big bowl coated with about 1 tablespoon oil, turning the dough over to coat with oil. Cowl with plastic wrap and a heat towel and permit the dough to rise for about 90 minutes, or till doubled in measurement. This will likely take extra of much less time relying on the climate or temperature in your house.
Subsequent, grease a 8×4 inch loaf pan. After dough has risen, knead it only a few extra occasions on a clear floor coated with complete wheat flour for about 1 min then form dough into an 8-inch lengthy log and place in ready pan, tucking the ends beneath.
Cowl the loaf with plastic wrap and a heat towel and permit it to rise once more for 60-90 minutes or till the loaf has risen an inch above the brim of the pan as demonstrated within the video. This will likely take kind of time relying on how heat it’s in your house. Watch rigorously as a result of you do not need the dough to rise an excessive amount of.
As soon as dough has risen the second time, preheat oven to 350 levels F. Beat egg in small bowl and brush excessive of the dough. (Please notice that you simply will not want to make use of the entire egg wash, however solely a small quantity.) Sprinkle a number of extra oats, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppyseeds on high of the dough.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or till loaf is barely golden brown on high and the loaf sounds hole when tapped. Switch pan to wire rack to chill for 10 minutes, then take away bread from pan and place on wire rack to complete cooling for no less than 2 hours. Don’t minimize the bread earlier than it’s utterly cooled or the feel will change.
Bread needs to be wrapped tightly and retailer at room temperature. If it is humid/scorching, retailer bread within the fridge. Lower into slices with a serrated knife. Makes 15 slices.
Bread is great toasted with butter, peanut butter, garlic butter or mashed avocado. It’s nice for grilling or for sandwiches too!
To make this bread vegan: use brown sugar as an alternative of honey, almond milk for the common milk, vegan butter and easily skip the egg wash!
See the complete submit for suggestions, tips and methods to customise your bread!
Servings: 15 slices
Serving measurement: 1 slice (primarily based on 15)
Saturated fats: 1.8g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially revealed on April seventh, 2019, and republished on February twentieth, 2023.